- Shu DY, Ong K, Lovicu FJ. Histopathology of subcapsular cataract in a patient with atopic dermatitis. Optometry and Vision Science 2017; 94(2): 270-276. (Link)
- Shu DY, Wojciechowski M, Lovicu FJ. Bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-7 suppresses TGFβ2-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in the lens: implications for cataract prevention. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 2017; 58(2): 781-796. (Link)
- Wojciechowski M, Mahmutovic L, Shu DY, Lovicu FJ. ERK1/2 signaling is required for the initiation but not progression of TGFβ-induced lens epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT). Experimental Eye Research 2017; 159:98-113. (Link)
- Kichkin E, Visvanathan A, Lovicu FJ, Shu DY, Das SJ, Reddel SW, McCann EP, Zhang KY, Williams KL, Blair IP, Phillips WD. Postnatal development of spasticity following transgene insertion in the mouse βIV spectrin gene (SPTBN4). Journal of Neuromuscular Diseases 2017; 4(2): 159-164. (Link)
- Shu DY, Lovicu FJ. Myofibroblast transdifferentiation: the dark force in ocular wound healing and fibrosis. Progress in Retina and Eye Research 2017; 60: 44-65. (Link)
- Wojciechowski M, Shu DY, Lovicu FJ. ERK1/2-dependent gene expression contributing to TGFβ-induced lens EMT. Current Eye Research 2018; doi: 10.1080/02713683.2018.1464193. (Link)
- Shu DY, Wojciechowski M, Lovicu FJ. ERK1/2-mediated EGFR-signaling is required for TGFβ-induced lens epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Experimental Eye Research 2019; 178: 108-121. (Link)
- Rosales MA, Shu DY, Iacovelli J, Saint-Geniez M. Loss of PGC-1α in RPE induces mesenchymal transition and promotes retinal degeneration. Life Science Alliance. 2019; 2(3):e201800212. (Link)
- Shu DY, Hutcheon, AEK, Zieske, JD, Guo, XQ. Epidermal growth factor stimulates transforming growth factor-beta receptor type II expression in corneal epithelial cells. Scientific Reports. 2019; 9.8079: 1-11. (Link)
- Shu DY, Lovicu, FJ. Enhanced EGF receptor-signaling potentiates TGFβ-induced lens epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Experimental Eye Research. 2019; 185: 1-9. (Link)
- Shu DY, Butcher E, Saint-Geniez M. EMT and EndMT: Emerging Roles in Age-Related Macular Degeneration. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2020; 21(12), 4271. (Link)
- Zheng Q, Jones FK, Leavitt SV, Ung L, Labrique A, Peters D, Lee E, Azman A, HIT-COVID Collaboration. HIT-COVID, a global database tracking public health interventions to COVID-19. Scientific Data. 2020; 7, 286. (Link)
- Shu DY, Ng K, Wishart TFL, Chui J, Lundmark M, Flokis M, Lovicu FJ. Contrasting roles for BMP-4 and ventromorphins (BMP agonists) in TGFβ-induced lens EMT. Exp Eye Res. 2021 Mar 24;206:108546. doi: 10.1016/j.exer.2021.108546. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33773977. (Link)
- Shu DY, Butcher ER, Saint-Geniez M. Suppression of PGC-1α Drives Metabolic Dysfunction in TGFβ2-Induced EMT of Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2021; 22(9):4701. (Link)
- Wishart T, Flokis M, Shu DY, Das S, Lovicu FJ. Hallmarks of lens aging and cataractogenesis. Experimental Eye Research. 2021, p.108709. (Link)
- Shu DY and Lovicu FJ 2021. Insights into Bone Morphogenetic Protein—(BMP-) Signaling in Ocular Lens Biology and Pathology Cells 10, no. 10: 2604. https://doi.org/10.3390/cells10102604
- Shu DY, Frank SI, Fitch TC, Karg MM, Butcher ER, Nnuji-John E, Kim LA and Saint-Geniez M (2022) Dimethyl Fumarate Blocks Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha-Driven Inflammation and Metabolic Rewiring in the Retinal Pigment Epithelium. Front. Mol. Neurosci. 15:896786. doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2022.896786
- Fitch TC, Frank SI, Li KY, Saint-Geniez M, Kim LA, Shu DY. Real-Time Analysis of Bioenergetics in Primary Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells Using High-Resolution Respirometry. J. Vis. Exp. e64572, In-press (2023) https://www.jove.com/t/64572
- Shu DY, Chaudhary S, Cho KS, Lennikov A, Miller WP, Thorn DC, Yang M, McKay TB. Role of Oxidative Stress in Ocular Diseases: A Balancing Act. Metabolites 2023, 13, 187. https://doi.org/10.3390/metabo13020187
- Ng PQ, Saint-Geniez M, Kim LA, Shu DY. Divergent Metabolomic Signatures of TGFβ2 and TNFα in the Induction of Retinal Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition. Metabolites. 2023; 13(2):213. https://doi.org/10.3390/metabo13020213
My online NCBI Bibliography can be accessed here.
- Lovicu FJ, Wishart TFL, Mao BP, Flokis M, Shu DY. The ocular lens epithelium: modelling growth factor signalling in physiological and pathological conditions. Advances in Medicine and Biology Volume 146 2019; 1-66.
- Lovicu FJ, Flokis M, Wojciechowski M, Mao B, Shu D. Understanding fibrotic cataract: regulation of TGFβ-mediated pathways leading to lens epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT). Journal of the Japanese Society for Cataract Research 2019; 1-12. (Link)
- Co-editor for the Special Issue “Molecular Mechanisms in Ocular Disease and Development” for Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology alongside my co-editors: Rajalekshmy Shyam, Elizabeth Zuniga-Sanchez and Deepika Vasudevan See more details and submission link here: https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/30275/molecular-mechanisms-in-ocular-disease-and-development
- Co-editor for the Special Issue “Bioenergetics and Cellular Dysfunction in the Brain and Eye” in Metabolites with lead editor Dr. Tina McKay. https://www.mdpi.com/journal/metabolites/special_issues/Brain_Eye Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 December 2022.
- Meihui He, Rong Rong, Ji Dan, Xiaobo Xia (2022). From bench to bed: the current genome editing therapies for glaucoma . Front. Cell Dev. Biol. 10:879957. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2022.879957
- Wei Lindan, Xin Sun, Chenxi Fan, Rongli Li, Shuanglong Zhou, Hongsong Yu (2022). The pathophysiological mechanisms underlying diabetic retinopathy . Front. Cell Dev. Biol. 10:963615. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2022.963615
Reviewer Publications that are public:
- Manon Szczepan, Maria Llorian-Salvador, Mei Chen and Heping Xu; Immune cells in subretinal wound healing and fibrosis, Front. Cell. Neurosci. – Cellular Neuropathology
- Parreno, J., Emin, G., Vu, M.P., Clark, J.T., Aryal, S., Patel, S. and Cheng, C., Methodologies to Unlock the Molecular Expression and Cellular Structure of Ocular Lens Epithelial Cells. Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, p.1827.
- Tan LX, Li J, Germer CJ and Lakkaraju A (2022) Analysis of mitochondrial dynamics and function in the retinal pigment epithelium by high-speed high-resolution live imaging. Front. Cell Dev. Biol. 10:1044672. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2022.1044672